Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Blog Post #5 Technology And Education In The Future

Travis Allen
Part 1 Travis Allen and the iSchool Initiative
If you haven't watched Travis Allen's Youtube clip entitled the ISchool Initiative you should. Travis makes the argument that technology will be the savior of the education system. He believes that use of technology, the iTouch in particular, in the class room will do three main things for education. First the iTouch will make schools greener by reducing, if not eliminating, the use of paper by students. Second the iTouch will save the education system over $600.00 in things like textbooks, writing supplies, etc... while only costing $150.00. Third the iTouch will improve communication and transparency between the teacher and student, as well as the teacher and parents. Parents can check on their child's progress from any computer, iTouch, or iPad.
I think that Travis is on to something with his iSchool Initiative. There is no question that the education system is flawed and in desperate need of overhauling. Technology definitely could be the answer but there would be, and are, a lot of hurdles that would have to be overcome. First high level decision makers would have to be convinced of the iSchool Initiative's feasibility, logistically and monetarily, so they could vote to make the necessary changes. This may have to happen with educated parents electing knowledgeable politicians as the ones we have certainly aren't up to the job. Second teachers have to be educated in the use of any and all technology they may encounter or use in their classrooms. This will probably be the biggest hurdle to be encountered as many teachers are intimidated by technology. Last but not least this is something that will not be done overnight but will require a dedicated effort on the part of all concerned from the politicians down to the average student.
Part 2 Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir
I found Eric Whitacre's Choir to be incredible! I first thought that maybe they recorded a song and then put together the graphics using pictures of people on webcams. However if you listen long enough, you realize, that this is not the case. These people are singing this song, all together, and no two are in the same room with each other. The logistics involved in this clip blows my mind! I never thought something like this was possible! Make sure you check this clip out!
Students can get information anywhere, anytime and any place
Part 3 Teaching In The 21st Century
Kevin Roberts is a very thought provoking individual. In his video Teaching In The 21st Century he puts forth a lot of ideas about what teaching will be like in the future and the role that technology will play in it. I am still processing a lot of what he said but the point he makes about teachers not being the main source of informationv anymore really hit home. I guess I haven't really thought about that much but Roberts is right. My students are much more likely to go to the internet for information than to come ask me. I thought his question about who is teaching them the right way to find information to be profound. We as teachers need to evolve from our rolls as information givers and instead become information filters, directors etc... for our students. We need to teach our students the best ways of finding information and how to get the most out of their technology. I agree with Roberts and also think that the days of information giving by teachers are numbered and will soon be coming to a close.
Katie Gimbar demonstrating flipping a classroom
Part 4 Flipping The Classroom
The concept of flipping the classroom is an awesome concept! The premise is that instead of spending 90% of the class on concept delivery and review and 10% on application to flip this and spend 10% on delivery and 90% on application. In order to do this students are required to preview the concept prior to class via online videos. Students then come to class already knowledgeable about the subject material and require minimal help to take the concept to the application level and beyond. Teachers are then free to spend their time offering differentiated instruction to those that need it.
I wish I had known about flipping the classroom years ago. Up until this last year I have been teaching a 6th grade math class and this approach would have been perfect. Yes we would have had a number of speed bumps to overcome, like students not having computers or internet access, but we could have overcome these and had a really productive class. Starting next August I will be teaching 6th and 7th grade Science and I am already thinking of how I can use this concept in those classrooms. Lots of hurdles to jump over but I know it is possible. I need to share this concept with my fellow teachers and administration and see if we can't make this a school wide endeavor. If this sounds like something you might be interested in I urge you to check out the following links.
Why I Flipped My Classroom
Flipping The Classroom
Flipped Classroom FAQ

2 comments:

  1. Travis and his iSchool Initiative team visited with EDM310 this summer.

    Thorough, thoughtful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Paul
    Let me begin by stating that your post was very organized and on point with the topics that were assigned. I agree with your post about the iSchool Initiative, you described some of the obstacles that you think school systems, teachers, and students will have to overcome in order for the technology to be successful. The Virtual Choir video, shocked me as well, the performance was developed through technology so well that it took me a while to recognize that the people were all in different locations singing the same song. Also, I agree with you that as teachers we need to teach our students the best way to obtain the information that we give them and how to get the best use of technology. I think that flipping will work for certain students that want to learn; for example, I don't know many high school athletes that will take the time to view lessons before coming to class. Overall, you’re doing a good job; however, I did find a couple of grammatical errors.
    Thanks, Giorgio Lymon
    EDM310

    ReplyDelete